The cold war continued to become colder as the two sides distrusted the other more and tried to influence other parts of the world.
John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson won the Presidency with one of the smallest margins in history ( 113,000 votes ) out of 68.3 million.
The sexual revolution of the 60’s had begun with the use of birth control pills and Hugh Hefner opening the first of his Playboy clubs in Chicago.
The “Flintstones” is shown on television for the first time and movies this year include “The Magnificent Seven” and “Psycho” .
Notable technical achievements include the invention of the Laser and a Heart Pacemaker. France tests its first atomic bomb and joins those countries with nuclear bomb technology.
Notable names that appear in the limelight that year include “Cassius Clay” and “Sir Francis Chichester”.
The US sends the first troops to Vietnam following the French withdrawal in 1954 in the fight against communist North Vietnam.
US Enters Vietnam War.
The IRA starts it’s fight against the British.
John F Kennedy wins presidential Election.
Chubby Checker and The Twist start a new dance craze.
Soviet missile shoots down the US U2 spy plane.
Aluminum Cans used for the first time.
The US announces 3,500 American soldiers are going to be sent to Vietnam.
Xerox introduces the first photocopier.
Fidel Castro nationalizes American Oil, sugar and other US interests in Cuba.
OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) is formed.
- Wake County (1960 Census): 169,082
- NC: 4,573,000
- USA: 180,700,000
- $286,330,760,848 (1960)
- $18,152,809,942,589 (2015)
Value of a Dollar: $1 in 1960 is $7.98 in 2015
Cost Of Living 1960:
- Yearly Inflation Rate USA: 1.46%
- Average Cost of New House: $12,700
- Average Monthly Rent: $98
- Average Cost of a new car: $2,600
- Cost of a gallon of Gas: $0.25
- 23 inch TV: $219
- Piaggio/Vespa Scooter: $319.95
- Can of Beef Ravioli: $0.30
- Loaf of Bread: $0.20
- Men’s Electric Shaver: $20.30
- Polaroid Land Camera/Polaroid Camera: $93.45
- Danish Contemporary Furniture: $350
- McDonald’s Hamburger: $0.15
- Ticket to Disneyland: Gate admission an 10 tickets to attractions: $3.75
Ounce of Gold Price:
- The cost of a Ounce of Gold was $35.27
- The inflation-adjusted price of a Ounce of Gold was $286.75
Cost of a movie ticket: $0.51
Inflation-adjusted price of a movie ticket: $4.15
The cost of a movie ticket in 2015: $7.92
Top 5 Movies:
- Swiss Family Robinson
- The Alamo
- Best Picture: The Apartment
- Best Actor: Burt Lancaster – Elmer Gantry
- Best Actress: Elizabeth Taylor – Butterfield 8
- Best Supporting Actor: Peter Ustinov – Spartacus
- Best Supporting Actress: Shirley Jones – Elmer Gantry
- Best Director: Billy Wilder – The Apartment
- Gunsmoke – CBS – 17,605,600
- Wagon Train – NBC – 16,142,400
- Have Gun Will Travel – CBS – 14,584,800
- The Andy Griffith Show – CBS – 13,121,600
- The Real McCoys – ABC – 13,074,400
- Rawhide – CBS – 12,980,000
- Candid Camera – CBS – 12,885,600
- The Untouchables – ABC – 12,744,000
- The Price is Right – NBC – 12,744,000
- The Jack Benny Show – CBS – 12,366,400
- Percy Faith – Theme From “A Summer Place”
- Jim Reeves – He’ll Have To Go
- Everly Brothers – Cathy’s Clown
- Johnny Preston – Running Bear
- Mark Dinning – Teen Angel
- Brenda Lee – I’m Sorry
- Elvis Presley – It’s Now Or Never
- Jimmy Jones – Handy Man
- Elvis Presley – Stuck On You
- Chubby Checker – The Twist
- Connie Francis – Everybody’s Somebody’s Fool
- Bobby Rydell – Wild One
- Brothers Four – Greenfields
- Jack Scott – What In The World’s Come Over You
- Marty Robbins – El Paso
- Hollywood Argyles – Alley Oop
- Connie Francis – My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own
- Brenda Lee – Sweet Nothin’s
- Brian Hyland – Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini
- Roy Orbison – Only The Lonely
- Please Help Me, I’m Falling – Hank Locklin
- He’ll Have To Go – Jim Reeves
- Wings Of a Dove – Ferlin Husky
- One More Time – Ray Price
- El Paso – Marty Robins
- Excuse Me – Buck Owens
- I’m Falling Too – Skeeter Davis
- Just One Time – Don Gibson
- Sing The Bismarck – Johnny Horton
- He’ll Have To Stay – Jeanne Black
ACC Football Champ: Duke
ACC Basketball Champs: Duke (Duke 63 – Wake Forest 58)
World Series Winner: Pittsburgh Pirates over the NY Yankees 4 games to 3
Heavyweight Boxing Champ: Floyd Patterson (Universal)
NFL Championship Game: Philadelphia Eagles (Philadelphia 17 – Green Bay 13)
NASCAR Season Winner: Rex White
Masters Winner: Arnold Palmer – 282 (-6) – Winners share $17,500
- Men’s Singles: Australia Neale Fraser defeated Australia Rod Laver 6–4, 3–6, 9–7, 7–5
- Women’s Singles: Brazil Maria Bueno defeated South Africa Sandra Reynolds 8–6, 6–0
- Men’s Doubles: Mexico Rafael Osuna / United States Dennis Ralston defeated United Kingdom Mike Davies / United Kingdom Bobby Wilson 7–5, 6–3, 10–8
- Women’s Doubles: Brazil Maria Bueno / United States Darlene Hard defeated South Africa Sandra Reynolds / South Africa Renee Schuurman Haygarth 6–4, 6–0
- Mixed Doubles: United States Darlene Hard / Australia Rod Laver defeated Brazil Maria Bueno / Australia Robert Howe 13–11, 3–6, 8–6